LASIK Surgery Recovery
How Long is the Recovery Period of LASIK Surgery?
LASIK surgery is an exciting process that offers life-changing results. If you are considering LASIK, it is important to know what to expect post-surgery. Just as with any procedure, there is a recovery period. The good news? LASIK recovery time is brief, and you can usually return to your daily routine within days!
Like your eyes, LASIK recovery time is unique to the person. Your exact recovery time depends on your original prescription, your surgeon, and the type of procedure performed. Regardless, LASIK recovery time is typically quick. People tend to see improvements to their vision within the first two days. While people usually return to their routine within days after having LASIK surgery, full recovery takes around 3-6 months.
What to Expect After LASIK Surgery?
- Right after your procedure, vision will be foggy. Don’t worry—this is normal, and you should be able to see much better in a few hours.
- You will be required to have someone drive you home post-surgery.
- It is recommended you wear sunglasses home because your eyes might be sensitive.
- After the anesthesia wears off, you may have some discomfort and your eyes may be watery.
- Your doctor will suggest you rest for a few hours after surgery and you will be given some protective shields to wear during your nap and at night.
Most people return to their normal routine the next day, apart from wearing these shields at night and sunglasses during the day. You should schedule regular follow-up visits with your surgeon for the six-month recovery time to make sure you are healing properly. After these six months, most patients have clear vision!
What are the side effects of LASIK Surgery?
You may experience temporary side-effects after surgery such as….
- Eye irritation and watering
- A sensation of having something in your eye
- Light sensitivity
These effects should only last a few hours and are a regular part of the healing process. If you experience extreme pain at any point, contact your doctor.
LASIK Surgery Recovery Tips
Make sure you have a smooth recovery by following these quick tips during the first week:
- Because they will be very sensitive, try not to rub or touch your eyes.
- You should avoid getting dust, smoke, or water in your eyes. You can still bathe but be cautious of your eyes.
- Stay away from eye make-up or lotion around the eyes after the procedure because this could potentially inflame the area.
LASIK surgery is usually a pain-free and low-risk surgery, but it is helpful to be prepared for what comes after the procedure. One way to ensure a positive recovery is to pick an experienced, trustworthy surgeon. With over 30,000 LASIK procedures performed and two decades of experience, Dr. Sambursky has changed the game with his innovation. The team uses the latest technology which allows for less recovery time. If you are thinking about LASIK eye surgery, you can schedule a FREE consultation by contacting Sambursky Laser Eye Center!